Sunday, October 17, 2021

Former attorney for the killer mom of Caylee Anthony will not be representing her again

Must read

Sources connected to the parents of a 6-year-old boy who was abducted and killed six years ago in Florida say their attorney Casey Anthony won’t be hiring back for a possible retrial, despite rumors he is eyeing a new client.

Brian Laundrie and Karen Bethune, who were married in April, first met Anthony, 34, at a trial event in May 2017, sources told News4’s Tom Sherwood. After the meeting, Laundrie became convinced he wanted to work again with Anthony, but Bethune was not so sure, Sherwood said.

The couple is representing their son, Benjamin Laundrie, in a child welfare investigation, Sherwood said. Bethune also said she’s “expecting new legal counsel,” meaning Anthony.

However, he told News4 he reached out to Anthony last week, but she said she did not have time to meet with him.

“I know I didn’t take him out of the possible retrial,” Bethune said. “And as a lawyer, I have to talk to a client if they’re interested, and I’m not on the case anymore.”

Bethune said Anthony also did not mention whether Anthony was looking for a job, Sherwood said.

Anthony, who gained infamy for her trial and for comments during and after her trial, has remained out of the public eye since being released from prison in late 2015. The former trial nurse lost nearly $1 million in legal fees, and hundreds of thousands more in travel expenses for attorneys, after being acquitted in the death of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee in 2011.

As part of the 2005 alimony agreement for the couple’s two sons, Benjamin and Jesse, as part of a divorce, Anthony cannot be named the children’s guardian without Bethune’s consent. An attorney for Benjamin Laundrie did not immediately return a phone call.

More articles

Latest article